Thursday, March 22, 2007

Marriage Meme

Sara tagged me for this meme.

1. Where/How did you meet?

Well, that is a story. We grew up in the same town, but I am five years older than he is so, we never were in the same circles. In fact, one of my best friends used to babysit him. Ridiculous isn't it? I don't recall meeting him as kids.

I went away to college. My parents started leading a youth group. I came back from college, and Tim was part of the youth group. He was a senior, and around our house a lot. More on this in another question.

2. How long have you known each other?
I guess that would make it about 14 years.

3. How long after you met did you start dating?
Continuing from #1. . . Tim would follow me around. I thought it was so cute he had a crush on me, but I was the sophisticated college graduate, not interested in a high school kid. In fact, I had always dated older guys, make that older jerks!

Tim and I became friends. We hung out, talked and played volleyball together. I remember thinking that I would like to marry someone like Tim, but of course, someone who wasn't in high school!

I don't remember exactly when we crossed the line to dating, but it was fall sometime. It didn't take long. I'd just moved back in June.

4. How long did you date before you were engaged?
That also didn't take long. Started dating in the fall, had decided we wanted to get married by spring. Crazy isn't it? He was 18 for goodness sakes!

5. How long was your engagement?
We got married during the winter break of his freshman year of college, so about 8 months.

6. How long have you been married?
Twelve years.

7. What is your anniversary?
December 31. New Years Eve. It was the only Saturday, that would work during his winter break.

8. How many people came to your wedding reception?
About 200 I think.

9. What kind of cake did you serve?

Oh man! I really don't remember. I'm thinking we had some layers of white and some of spice, but I'm not sure.

10. Where was your wedding?
Lighthouse Christian Fellowship. Millersburg, Ohio

11. What did you serve for your meal?
Your killing me here. It was a buffet. Let's see, pasta, bread, fruit, salad? We ate in a hurry, so it is kind of a blur.

12. How many people were in your bridal party?
4 total

13. Are you still friends with them all?
The ladies - I lost touch with both of them. I did reconnect with one of them a few months back, though.

The men- One was Tim's brother, so yes, they are still friends. Lost touch with the other.

14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?
I think we both teared up. He sang to me as a I walked down the aisle. Hard not to tear up during that.

15. Most special moment of your wedding day?
see #14

16. Any funny moments?
While I was getting ready, I couldn't find my lipstick. Seems silly now, but I was pretty frantic. My lovely bridesmaids teased me about it, saying, "Steph can't get wed without her Ruby Red." It is funny, now.

17. Any big disasters?
No, not really. Tim did try to put my ring on the wrong finger.
One thing that most people didn't know. My oldest brother and his wife were helping at the reception. We sent them right after the ceremony, forgetting they need to be there for the family pictures. I've always felt bad about that.

18. Where did you go on your honeymoon?
We went to a secluded cabin in rural Ohio.

19. How long were you gone?
One week.


20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change?
Honestly, I don't think I'd have a wedding like that at all. Though we tried to make it simple, and keep the cost down, it still seemed like a production, and cost a good chunk. I think I'd rather have had a much more relaxed wedding, and kept it to immediate family. If I was going to spend a good chunk of money on a wedding, I think I'd go for a destination wedding.

21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?
Right side. Before we moved I slept on the left side. Not sure why we changed, probably b/c the right side is closer to the bathroom!

22. What size is your bed?
Queen

23. Greatest strength as a couple?
Our differences. No, really. We are wired very differently. In the early years it was hard to appreciate those difference, but now that we do, it has made us much stronger. Our differences compliment each other. He is strong where I am weak. I am strong where he is weak. We are a great team.

24. Greatest challenge as a couple?
Finding time for each other.

25. Who literally pays the bills?
For most years of our marriage, I've paid the bills. He has here or there.

26. What is your song?
? See #27

27. What did you dance your first dance to?
When I Fall in Love by Celine Dion from the Sleepless in Seattle Soundtrack. That was the first movie we saw together.

28. Describe your wedding dress:
The dress was very special. Tim's grandmother made it. The fabric was a brocade. The dress itself was simple with a bit of bead trim. I'm hoping that my daughters will want to wear it too.

Previously, I posted an engagement and wedding photo. You can see them here.

Who'd like to tell their wedding story? I'll tag Mandy, Crystal, and Delilah, if they'd like to play. Of course, anyone else is welcome to play too!

10 comments:

  1. I remember when the two of you came up to Mom's to tell her you were engaged. Everyone was so happy for you both.
    I also remember you walking down the aisle as Tim sang. I remember the look on your face. You were trying not to look at him so you wouldn't cry, but I could tell you didn't want to NOT look at him and miss the moment, too. That had to be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful! I love how you described what makes you two work together! #23

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. This was my very first meme. How exciting! It's up over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHWWW! What a great story! I just posted mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet - thanks for sharing! I really like your description of working together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wedding day sounds like it was so romantic! And you were a beautiful couple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Parenting Toddlers sent me your way through their blogroll. I thought I would drop by and check your site out.

    Great meme by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story!

    I'm new to your blog, but I LOVE it. May I link to you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice intro to you as a couple. Wish we could have you over for dinner some time and get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice intro to you as a couple. Wish we could have you over for dinner some time and get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete