Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Translation Please!

It can be quite challenging sometimes to figure out what you toddler or preschooler is trying to tell you. They know what they are trying to say, but finding and pronouncing the correct word doesn't always happen. I remember Kellen and Lydia would (and sometimes still do) make up words when they weren't quite sure.

Nolan is doing something different. When he doesn't know the word for the object he wants he always says, something that sounds like, "comesom!" We have tried to figure out what "comesom!" means with no luck.

At first we thought maybe he was trying to say "something." Kellen thought maybe it was "handsome" because Nolan was learning that word around the same time "comesom!" started. If you suggest those words he simply replies, "No, comesom!"

So, what is "comesom?" I don't know if he is trying to say a real word, but I do know that it means, "What is that called?" If you tell him the name of the object he is pointing to, he will repeat the object's name and continue the conversation. If you try to figure out what "comesome?" is you will both end up frustrated.

12 comments:

  1. Buddy for the longest time has been playing this game whenever he gets changed where he jumps under the covers in just his diaper and hides. He's been saying "don't go in the waba" for several months in conjunction with this.

    I have had no luck figuring out what the heck he was talking about, until 3 days ago, when he said something about a volcano. All this time he's been saying "don't go in the Lava". Gee-now why wouldn't I have assumed that my 3 1/2 year old was referring to Lava when lying in his bed under the covers in his underwear????

    Their little minds work in mysterious ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, for awhile everything my toddler said sounded like "butt". Butt could be milk, bread, book, or butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is Steven saying "wixers" and we finally figured out he was saying whiskers. He still pronounces it that way.
    Is Nolan saying "question" maybe? I'll be thinking about this all day, now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Jude was little he was call the trash can "garbs shticker". We would laugh and laugh. I couldn't figure out why he would say that and we finally got him to just say trash can. Well, just this year Elise was getting into the trash and I called her a little "garbage picker" (in an endearing way) and then I realized I used to call Jude the same thing....and that is where "garbs shticker" came from. Poor Jude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn- too funny. I would have sworn that would have been water!

    Thanks for everyone for sharing. It gave me a chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even think of anything remotely close to what he's trying to say! LOL!

    Thanks for sharing this with the Carnival of Family Life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is so funny! And as hard as it is to figure out what your own kids is saying, it's even harder to figure out what someone ELSE'S kid is saying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here again from the CFL! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right with you.

    This way to madness: Starting from 8am, hear, "Want which finger did that on poota." 8000 times until 8pm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how little kids make up words. Maybe comesom is just the catch all word he made up. Let us know if you figure out what the word is!!

    Here via the carnival of family life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm stumped. Then again, when my kids were in this stage, I'd just smile and say, "Yeah! That's great!" Most of the time they'd smile back and move on.

    Here via CoFL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL at Desert Songbird. The funniest thing is...she's right! ;) Isn't it so cool when they're trying to communicate!? Here via CFL.

    ReplyDelete