Monday, January 22, 2007

A little bit of explanation

Did you take the quiz? If you didn't and want to
Take the Quiz!
before you read any further.



Tim knows me and Mamaw and Papaw know me pretty well, but the rest of you? Well, I thought maybe you could use some explanation.

We lived on a farm until I was in the sixth grade. Living on the family farm we had lots of different animals. I had a cow named Joy, several sheep, and many rabbits as pets, but never did I have a pet chicken. (q. 6)

Occasionally, we would get together with my dad's side of the family. These gatherings were huge. Haven't I mentioned my dad grew up Amish? I have more than 60 cousins (q. 5) on his side alone. Another piece of trivia about me? I only have one first cousin on my mom's side.

I got my first job as a waitress when I was a junior in high school. I waited tables all through college. Waiting tables has always been a "fall back" job for me. I did it when Tim and I first got married and when we first moved back to our hometown. So, though I have worked in insurance, been a book keeper and a teacher, I have spent the most years as a waitress. (q. 3)

My degree is in Economics. (q. 2) The plan there was to have a broad base and go on to get a Masters in business; international business to be specific. The plan didn't happen. It wasn't until Tim and I were married that I went back to school for my teaching certificate. My certificate was for secondary social studies.

I substituted for awhile and took an 8th grade history position when Kellen was two. At the same time, we took a houseparent position with a therapeutic foster agency. (q. 7) I had both of those jobs about two years until Lydia was born and I quit both.

When I was 4 months pregnant with Lydia we went on a missions trip to an Alaskan island. After helping with a VBS and other activities in a village there, we went backpacking on another island. The trip was already planned and when I found out I was pregnant, I debated on whether I should hike or not. In the end, I decided it was something I couldn't pass on. (q. 4)

If you read the "family blogs" you probably have seen the Alaska trip referred to many times, but no one has told the whole story. I think because we are all still bitter about it. The jist of it is we had some inexperienced hikers with us who panicked. We all left via Coast Guard helicopter with only one easy days hike to go.

I love to travel. If we suddenly came into some money, travel would be the first frivolous thing I would spend it on. I love the mountains, the beach and the city. I would go everywhere! (q. 10) I went to France the summer before my senior year of high school; to Russia the summer before we got married; and to Canada many times, but never to Mexico. (q. 1)

I love a wide variety of foods also, but lasagna (q. 8) is on the top of my list. I find I order it about 90% of the time it is on the menu. Berries of any sort are my favorite fruits. We have tons of blackberries, but blueberries are the ones I would most like to eat! (q. 9)


There is some explanantion. I didn't realize I was so full of surprises!



9 comments:

  1. I didnt' know you (and my husband) had so many first cousins! I have 23 first cousins on my dad's side and 5 on my mom's. I thought that was a lot. Here is the real question....can you name all your cousins? I am not sure I could. Some of my cousins are older than my dad! He is the second youngest of 9 kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! This quiz made me laugh...I thought I'd never get one right!!!

    Your last post was (I'm sure terribly frustrating) but did make me chuckle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Name them? Are you kidding me? Sometimes I have to think to get all the aunts and uncles. I'm not positive I've even met all of the cousins. I can name most of them close to my age, beyond that I might be able to tell which family they belong to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally took your quiz. I missed the favorite berry and what you would order at the restuarant. i guess I know you better than I thought. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of family. Wow. It sounds like my husband's side, he has so many cousins he doesn't know how many let alone their names. I don't think it's as many as your husband's family though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha....I asked Jake and he doesn't even know how many aunts & uncles you have....let alone name them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of cousins-I don't even have that many second cousins.

    I also received an undergraduate degree with the anticipation of going on to law school (not happening). Now I'm stuck with sort of a pre-law env social science degree making it impossible to find work. Maybe I'll follow your path and get a teaching certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Burdockboy - If you do decide to get a teaching certificate my advice would be to just get your masters in education if you can. I got some bad advice and ended up spending almost as much time and money to get my certificate as I would have to just get a masters.

    Can't speak for WI, but in Ohio (where I was teaching) you have to get your masters within 10 years of teaching anyway!

    ReplyDelete