Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Yesterday was a good day.

This summer has been filled with tragedy followed by a seemingly never ending line of frustration, disappointment, and failure. It seems like everyday something breaks, dies, or doesn't work as planned. A week or so ago Tim told me that we just have to go with the flow. My response was, "I don't like this flow. It is too fast and rough for me." (Where is my calm lazy river and inner tube?)

It is hard not to feel buried by it all. But what choice do we have but to go with the flow? We can only take each day as it comes. We can only work so many hours in the day, and only get accomplished what those hours allow. We can only relish in the moments when things go right, and remember that a van (or two or three) breaking down, though utterly frustrating in the moment, really doesn't make a lot of difference in the long run or in the big picture. We can only let go of the wants and needs of this world, and feel the peace that is ours in Christ. Easier said than done, but really, do we have a choice? Be buried under the weight of this world, or embrace the life of Christ? Hmmmm let me think about that.....

Besides, not everything has gone wrong. Yesterday, was a good day. The weather was perfect. We ran errands at a leisurely pace, enjoyed lunch in the park, and had a movie night. The kids were helpful and co-operative for the most part, and I thoroughly enjoyed our day together. We didn't do anything special, but it was a good day.

Even when things do go wrong, there are things that are right. Saturday the work truck broke down on my way to get feed. This left me stranded, forty minutes from home, in a very bad spot on a heavily traveled two lane road with the truck and a trailer. Semis and cars were whizzing by me on one side while the vehicles on my side of the road were very impatient to get around me. After about ten minutes of this, a young father with a pickup truck stopped hooked on to my truck and pulled me to a spot where I could get off the road better.  I can't tell you how grateful I am to him for that act of kindness.

There I waited for Tim to come and try to get the truck going again. He tried several things, and finally we had to call a tow truck. Tim and I spent the hour waiting in the shade and chatting. I can't remember the last time we've been able to sit and relax together like that in the middle of the day. I thoroughly enjoyed it in the midst of our messed up day and broken down vehicle.

Life is full of ups and downs. Lately, the downs have been intense. I can't hide from them. I can't run away from them. All I can do is roll with them, enjoy the ups when they come, and allow the truth and life of Christ to reign in me. Yesterday was a good day. Today, so far, has not. I am going with the flow.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post, I have been feeling super overwhelmed lately , your attitude is such an example for me to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give me too much credit. Right now I mostly feel like I'm faking it until I make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes that is all we can do Steph..."fake it till we make it"..someome told me at the retreat this weekend "just smile and fool the devil"...knowing that there is a reason for all things is a comfort isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like it has been a tough summer, stephanie... i'm sorry for everything you guys have been going through. but i like what you said - what choice do we have? obviously there is a choice that we're all faced with, and really it comes down to dwelling in the deadness of our own lives or choosing to look to Christ's Life, which is above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading your blog. Your post today is very inspiring. I have been trying to get out of the city and into the country for some time. The last 14 months have seem like there is a black cloud over us that won't leave. I know there is a bigger plan. The words I keep hearing through the word and devotions are....Be still ....Wait...Be patient... Thank you for your honesty and being so humble. Great things will happen for you and you will have a great story. Hang in there. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blogs are always such inspirations!!!!

    Check out my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I just wanted to say that I just found your blog... wonderful! And while it's different circumstances I know what you mean. Boy oh boy to I know...

    It's like I told a dear friend yesterday... it seems as though the body of Christ just keeps getting hit head on. There will come a day when I don't feel so much like Job, I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the summer days! Especially when the heat is not so high!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kindness of strangers never ceases to amaze me. I love your blog! Such kind and stirring words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this very interesting read :)

    ReplyDelete