Saturday, April 27, 2013

Turkey Talk


A little over a month ago, we brought home our first turkeys. We've talked about raising turkeys pretty much from the beginning of this farm, but shied away because we had the notion that they were difficult to raise. So far, they have been easy and enjoyable. I love to listen to them.

About a week ago our tom began talking to some wild turkeys across the hollow.  He'd "gobble, gobble," and a few minutes later you could hear "gobble, gobble," on the opposite hill.

A few days ago, as we were driving out the lane we noticed the gobbling had gotten a little louder, a little closer, and in fact it was. Four wild toms had come up to the fence line to see what was going on. They were walking the fence line, and checking it out.

A few minutes later,  I looked and the wild toms had come a little closer, and our tom was not happy about it. He was at the fence letting them have it, "GOBBLE, GOBBLE." They were not intimidated and stood right in his face, "GOBBLE, GOBBLE" through the fence.

By the time I ran in for the camera, the wild turkeys had decided it wasn't worth their time, and went strolling back down the hill. I haven't seen, or heard them since.

In other turkey news....

The hens are sitting. The last of the three hens decided she'd rather help her friend on her nest than to make her own.


I thought about trying to discourage her, but I think we'll just let nature take its course. Hoping for some poults soon, and our own Thanksgiving turkey!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie
    I have spent the better part of the day reading your blog. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself. I feel like I know you lol. Thanks for a great way to spend a day with the flu. Blessings to you and your family. Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you feel better. Glad our story could entertain you! :)

      Delete