Saturday, January 05, 2013

Scotch Pancakes

Kellen is a kid with many talents, but some of those talents he likes to keep hidden. One of his hidden talents is cooking. He almost never voluntarily helps with the cooking when I am home, but when I am gone it is a different story. He makes all kinds of things, from scratch, when I'm out running errands without kids. He has made bread sticks, cinnamon rolls, and more. His latest culinary adventure was Scotch Pancakes, and all the kids loved them so much, they asked me to make them again today for lunch.

I have used My Favorite Pancake recipe for years, but Kellen found this recipe in the same cookbook, a few pages over.

Scotch Pancakes
2 C Flour
3 TB sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 TB shortening (I used lard)
1 C sour milk (add 1 TB lemon juice to sour milk)
2 eggs lightly beaten

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in lard with a pastry blender. Add milk and beat well. Add eggs. Cook on a hot griddle, but only use a small amount of batter for each pancake.

The batter is extremely thick, and I was a little leery of how these would turn out. I worried for nothing. They  turned out light, but with a lot more flavor than the other recipe I've been using. They are a little tricky to cook though. They don't bubble up like most pancakes do. Watch the edges. Watch the top. When the edges look a bit set, and the top starts to look less glossy, they are ready to flip.

I made a quadruple batch for this crew (and they ate almost all of them,) served them up with sausage and real maple syrup. It made for a very delicious and satisfying Saturday lunch.

The only thing wrong with this meal is that I did the cooking! What was I thinking? Kellen found the recipe, and has made them before, why didn't he cook for all of us? ;)


2 comments:

  1. Looks good...going to try them this weekend. I'm sure curious how long they take to cook.

    This picture also gave me the idea wondering what the difference would be baking bread on a cast iron griddle instead of a baking stone. I'll let you know when I get around to it, unless you already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made these. They made plenty for my family of four. Thanks for the hints otherwise very easy to overcook. Helped me use up some buttermilk I had. I think I'll stick to my mulitgrain recipe though.

    ReplyDelete