Friday, September 28, 2007

Sweet Sensitive Nolan

Not a title you see very often is it? Though I do tend to tell stories about Nolan(3) that show his stubborn or ornery side, he really does have a tender side. He can be very sweet and loving. He is the biggest cuddler, and is the only one of our kids to get attached to a security item. He has a red fleece throw that he sleeps with. In a pinch, he can be consoled with a substitute, but that is not always an easy task. Anyhow....

Today I saw the sensitive side of Nolan. We were on a field trip. Part of the day included a living history drama set in the late 1700's. The audience played the part of perspective settlers and various characters came along to give us bits of information. Early in the drama we met an Indian. He was a friendly and was giving the news to our guide. I asked Nolan if he saw the Indian. He looked at me slightly bewildered and said, "No. What Indian?" I explained to him who the Indian was, and went back to watching the drama and keeping Vivian occupied.

A few minutes later, I feel Nolan cuddle up to me. When I looked at him, his eyes were wide and brimming with tears. He looked up me and holding back the tears asked, "He isn't going to shoot us is he?"

The poor thing was so scared. He didn't understand that we were only watching them pretend. He was much better after I explained to him that it was pretend, but he still stayed close for a few more minutes. It melted my heart. My sweet sensitive boy.

4 comments:

  1. It's times like these that make it all worth while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you he's a sweetie pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor baby! I often wonder about little ones that are taken on those virtual reality rides...how do you explain virtual reality like the Spiderman ride at Universal....talk about scare a little one TO DEATH!!!
    It sounds like a very fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! That is something my 2yo would do. I am glad he felt better after you explained it. Sometimes things can be too real for little ones.

    The other day, my son was showing the baby a book about sharks. For some reason I said, "Do you think they'll eat her all up?" My 2yo daughter was horrified and quite concerned that her baby sister was going to get eaten!

    ReplyDelete