Monday, February 01, 2010

Parenting According to Tim

Tim is a wonderful dad. I couldn't ask for a better. He spends a lot of time with the kids both playing and working. The kids adore him, and I think secretly look forward to the weekends when I am at work and they are home with daddy.

Tim and I are both committed to raise these kids to be adults. That may sound a little strange, because all kids are going to become adults right? I just mean that we are purposeful about teaching the kids responsibility and giving them the skills they need for life. From that desire Tim has come up with some words of wisdom that our kids are very familiar with. All parenting comes down to these key phrases.

1) Suck it up.

2) Start saving.

3) I don't care. (directed at excuses and whining)

4) And failure is your best friend.

Words to parent by.

5 comments:

  1. I know plenty of adults who could use this kind of parenting even in their 30s and 40s...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie is very much right! Though I'm not sure about the finality of #4, I think I'd add don't take yourself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spirit behind #4 is that it is ok to fail because that is when you learn. Learn from your mistakes and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just surfing blogs and came across yours. How wonderfully interesting. You're doing great as parents, congratulations! Loved the baby goats.

    ReplyDelete