Monday, December 07, 2009

Homestead Happenings

With lows in the teens, and highs just barely reaching into the 30's, winter has officially reached the 100 Acre Woods. We had our first snow Saturday, and some of that pesky stuff is still sticking around for now.

I'm not much of a fan of winter. Yes, snow is beautiful, and really I do enjoy going out to sled with the kids and play in the snow. I just get worn out dealing with the practicalities of winter. I tire of the constant mess of coats, gloves, boots, and hats times six in a space that is entirely too small for all that stuff and my laundry. Keeping water available for the animals during freezing temperatures becomes like a part time job. And of course driving in the winter is no fun...but other than that winter is just great!




In other happenings, this cold spell will probably mean an end to the garden. We harvested broccoli and lettuce into December. The root crops still in the ground need harvested. Now, it is time to start thinking and planning for next year's garden. I recently was introduced to a new seed company, Hometown Seeds. They will be sending me a pack of their survival seeds, and I could not be more excited. The package includes 16 non-hybrid varieties. I am really excited to try the Butternut Squash. That will be a new one to our gardens.

Many of you may remember the decking that has been out by the rabbits for some time now. That decking has become a first class chicken house and storage area. It is not complete, but the chickens are quite happy in their new spacious home. I am quite happy with a good storage space for the animal and garden things, though a little shock out how quickly that space has filled up.



We also are getting ready for Christmas. Last week we made the annual trek to Lincoln county for the Christmas tree. We decorated the tree, and made this year's ornaments at The Pottery Place. Much of the shopping is complete, and soon we will begin the baking and candy making. Christmas will be here before we know it!

Things are busy here, as always. Seems the homestead never slows down, but only changes focus. We are just trying to keep up, and enjoy the process.


Don't forget to enter my giveaway! I'll be drawing a name tomorrow night!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the chicken house! I know what you mean about the cold weather, kind of. Only, I don't like anything about it other than its garden pest killing powers. :) I'm going to have to check out this seed source of which you speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AM I still up to enter ? - I know I suck for passing on bad info , but I had good intent.

    ReplyDelete