Saturday, August 08, 2009

Goat is Good

Goat meat (chevron) is one of the most popular meats worldwide. Somehow its popularity has skipped America where we favor the larger cows and hogs for our meat source. Goat meat also is very nutritious. check out this video about goat meat. And this link contains nutritional information. Thanks to Goats in the Garden for the links.

Even knowing all these facts, I was a little hesitant to try goat meat. We recently had three goats butchered. So, I was really hoping that goat meat was as good as I've been reading.

When we try new meat I like to make something simple with it. I want to taste the meat, not the spices or other things added to it. The first Chevron we made was spare ribs. I put them in the crock pot with some sliced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. They cooked on low all day long.

They were delicious; very tender with an excellent flavor. The flavor reminds me a bit of venison, but it isn't as dry and there is no gamey flavor. It reminded me most of lamb (young lamb, not mutton which can have a strong flavor.)

Goats are fabulous for clearing out the woods and mowing the driveway. They also are very nutritious, and delicious. I can see why it is such a popular meat worldwide. I am glad to have a freezer full of it, and more coming!

8 comments:

  1. Tell the kids G won't be eating goats either.LOl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned something today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I had goat meat was when I first came down here and we went to eat Indian. They had curried goat meat, and I had to try it...it was delicious! In fact it was better than most other meats I've had. I'm not sure if it was chevon or cabrito (mature, or young)...congrats on your freezer stash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have curried goat over here as well

    Wizz :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to thank you for sharing your goat meat, farm, animals and produce with us today. You have a generous heart. My boys were infatuated with the sunflower heads we brought home today. My son that visited the farm had everyone's attention over dinner explaining his lessons he learned in electricity. My fridge is full of beans. It's been a wonderful day. I'm so thankful Susan shared you with me. Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,
    You're welcome. Next time you'll have to bring all the boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you SO MUCH for this post. I loved it. Good one ....
    Enjoy every minute of your life.
    --
    Venus
    Home Security Systems no

    CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved

    ReplyDelete