Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Midwife

World War Two has always been a time period that fascinated me. Though the political and economic changes are interesting enough, what I really enjoy are the stories of people. The experiences of those who lived through this time were not only turning points in their own lives, they were turning points in the whole culture in many respects. 

As a woman and a mother, I also find stories of birth and mothering particularly interesting. So, when I was asked to review a copy of The Midwife, stories of a midwife in London post-WWII, I was pretty certain I would like this book. 



I was not disappointed. The author served the poor population of the London Docklands. Her stories of the people and her experiences make you laugh, make you cry, and sometimes are just outright shocking. 

I was touched and amazed by the woman you birthed twenty-five babies. The twenty-fifth of whom was born at 28 weeks gestation. It survived, with out a hospital stay. The story of the prostitute, and the women she lived with both appalled and saddened me. The antics of one of the older nuns at the convent where the author lived are simply hilarious.  

The Midwife is an entertaining read. It is full of insight into the lives of those living in the slums of London after World War II. There are stories of sadness and loss, but also stories of those who, despite their circumstances were able thrive and create happy homes for their families. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

2 comments:

  1. I am going to check this book out! Thank you so much for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for good books to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete