Monday, July 07, 2008

You Might Say She is Determined

On the agenda for the day we planned to get a little outside work done in the morning, and then my three oldest would walk to the creek with Ashley and Miles for a picnic and to play. Everything in the morning went as planned with minimal fighting or arguing.

When we came back in the house it was close to lunch time and Vivian needed a nap. It was a bit of a juggling act trying to get Vivian something to eat and facilitate the older kids packing their lunch and things for the creek. Just as I was thinking things were going smoothly and Vivian did not seem to mind that the other children were planning something without her, someone said the trigger word, swimsuit.

Apparently Vivian did not mind that the other kids were having a picnic or taking a walk without her. She did mind, very much, that she wasn't going where swimsuits could be used. It was instant tears. She kept repeating, muffled by her knuckle in her mouth, "Swimsuit. Go." Knowing she was very tired I tried to get her to eat a bit, finally gave up and put her in bed. We went on with our afternoon plans. The kids headed off to the creek, and I started in on laundry, dishes, and my to do list.

An hour an a half later while I'm hanging clothes on the line I hear Vivian crying. Crying when she first wakes up really isn't that unusual and I didn't think much of it. Sometimes when she wakes up crying playing peek-a-boo with her at the door helps lighten her mood. I went in the house, and cracked open her door, ready to play peek-a-boo. As soon as she saw my face, "Swimsuit. Go," and a fresh burst of tears.

It took me almost 15 minutes to calm her down. She ate a little more lunch, and I hoped that she would be over it. That hope was quickly diminished. About every twenty minutes she asks me, "Swimsuit. Go?" Or she may ask, "Boy, girl, where? Swimsuit?"

You might say she is determined.....

4 comments:

  1. Oh, poor baby! My two year old does the same. There are certain trigger words that make her very "determined"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her - both mine remember things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor baby! She probably had dreams about swimming!

    ReplyDelete