Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sausage Balls - I'm just a little obsessed.

Sausage Balls from Scratch
We attend a lot of functions where everyone is asked to bring  snack type items to share. I love these kind of gatherings because you get to try a little of everyone's favorite things.

I was kind of in a rut for these functions. It seems that all I ever brought were sweet things. I like to bake, and normally have everything I need on hand for something deliciously sweet. If I'd remembered to get cream cheese and crackers, often times I'd also bring hot pepper jam. It was hard for me to come up with something savory I could take that didn't require me running to the store for an ingredient.

Then in December someone brought sausage balls to our band concert. Yum! I was so excited because sausage and cheese are something I almost always have on hand. I went searching for recipes. In my initial search, every recipe included baking mix. That is not something that I keep on hand.

So, I did a little asking, and a little digging, and I found a few recipes. It is no surprise that the recipes were sausage, cheese, and what would be a biscuit recipe without the liquid. That is just how I made them, using my favorite biscuit recipe. I think I've made them for every get together since (a new rut?) and a couple of times just for us to eat. (I have to perfect the recipe you know.)

From Scratch Sausage Balls
2 cups flour
1 TB sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 C lard (or butter)
2 lbs sausage (I like a 1/2 light hot and half mild. Use all mild though if you don't like it spicy.)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or a little more.)

Mix dry ingredients. Blend in lard with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Mix in sausage and cheese. You'll have to use your hands to get it mixed well.

Form into walnut sized balls and place in a single layer on a baking dish. Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie Guggenbiller2/18/12, 4:36 PM

    Hey I remember these! Hi Stephanie...I was just peeking around on Facebook and visited your blog for a bit... I love it! Thanks for taking the time to make it lovely, interesting and wonderful to read... Maybe we'll see you in May?? Love, Julie Guggenbiller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adapted this for a friend's bridal shower last weekend, halving the recipe and subbing cornmeal for the flour. Delicious! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete